Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Wonderful Dinner at Angelica Kitchen

Last week I had a wonderful dinner at Angelica Kitchen. I arrived there around 8:15pm, and we were seated right away which was nice considering they usually have a long wait. I debated over what to order for a while, but finally chose one of the specials of the night when the waitress told me the portion is pretty big. I had the choice of adding two basics for an additional two dollars, so I chose steamed vegetables (butternut squash, sweet potato, and turnips) and tempeh.

My entree, "the Adventures of Pasilla, Queen of the Desert"

Smokey chili lime roasted tofu spiked with chipotle, jalapeño & pasilla chilies; served with soba noodles tossed with peanut sauce, & tangy mixed pickled vegetables including cauliflower, carrots, red onions & radishes. Accompanied by string beans, & roasted sweet potatoes; garnished with dandelion greens.

Despite the cheesy name, this special was amazing! I was very surprised to see such big pieces of tofu, I expected them to be stingy with it like the last time. The soba noodles with peanut sauce were extremely tasty. I LOVED the peanut sauce. I normally don't like thick tofu, but these were roasted and spiced so well that I enjoyed them. Both the string beans and roasted sweet potatoes were delicious too. The only thing I didn't really care for were the pickled vegetables. I also didn't taste any garlic in this dish which is always a plus.

My mom ordered a pantry plate with marinated tofu, hummus and extra pita chips, and today's special salad. She's not a big eater, so she gave me some of the special salad.

Hummus and pita chips, baked marinated tofu, and today's special salad: Whole Wheat udon noodle-vegetable salad including julienne daikon, carrots & green cabbage, arame, scallions, peanuts, & roasted tofu cubes; lightly tossed in jalapeño-cilantro dressing & served over mesclun greens; garnished with ruby kraut.

I mixed some of the tempeh with the salad and it was good, although I liked the special I ordered a lot better.

Overall, the meal was very enjoyable! If I ever see another soba noodles with peanut sauce special I definitely need to return and order it.

No comments:

Post a Comment